Curry Carrot and Coconut Soup
When thinking of a recipe for this months blog, I was taken back to rainy day here in El Morro when I had an unexpected visit from Santiago and some of the other young surfers from the village who had been riding the waves at the base of the property. They came up tired and hungry and lucky for them I had just made a big batch of this now infamous soup. I wasn’t quite sure what they would make of it, but I offered it to them and after exchanging nervous glances and nods of affirmation they agreed to try it. When I presented the steamy bowl of bright orange fragrant soup, they hesitated before tentatively having a taste… I waiting in the wings for the verdict was very pleasantly surprised when they all agreed it was good! When we sat to do this interview, Santi had said to me, “hey remember that carrot soup, super deli” Made my day!
So here it is, hope you like it!
- 6 large carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 medium onion chopped
- A nugget of ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 heaped teaspoon of Curry powder
- Lemon grass
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- Chopped coriander and coconut cream to serve
- First heat coconut oil in a large saucepan on medium heat
- Add diced onion, ginger, garlic, celery and saute until onion is translucent
- Add curry powder and ¼ cup of water to make a paste
- Add diced carrots and let steam for a little while, stirring frequently
- Add another 1.5 cups of water and the lemon grass
- Let simmer until carrots are soft
- Blend until smooth. Add in coconut milk while blending.
- Serve with thick coconut cream and chopped coriander. I like my soup with a side of buttery quinoa and / or a crispy patacon. Buen provecho!